D.B.’s Slow Cooker Favorites
I am a single dad with a crazy schedule. I found one easy way to have dinner ready when my son and I get home. The slow cooker. It started off with a few easy recipes. Now I am always trying new things. Here are few of my favorite recipes. Try them for yourself.
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 package (11/4 ounces) chili seasoning mix
1 can (about 14 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 can (about 15 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Chopped green onions (optional)
1. Brown ground beef in large skillet, stirring to break up the meat. Drain the fat and stir in the seasoning mix.
2. Place beef, tomatoes, beans and tomato sauce in slow cooker. Stir till everything is mixed together. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours. If you use the High setting cook for 2 to 3 hours. Top each serving with cheese and green onions.
Makes 4 servings
Beef Po Boys with Dipping Sauce
2 cups chopped onions
1 boneless beef chuck shoulder or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
1/4 cup dry red wine
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder Italian rolls, warmed and split
1. Place onions in bottom of the slow cooker. Trim fat from the beef and discard. Cut beef if needed to fit in the slow cooker. Top with remaining ingredients, except rolls. Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 to 10 hours or until beef is very tender.
2. Remove beef, cool slightly and remove any excess fat. Shred with 2 forks
3. Let cooking liquid stand 5 minutes. Skim off fat and discard. Spoon beef into rolls. Serve with cooking liquid as a dipping sauce.
Makes 6 to 8 sandwiches