The Bell Bridge is Gone and Other Construction Updates
The Bell Street Bridge over I-40 has been demolished and is now officially closed. That’s just one of the updates this week from the Texas Department of Transportation. Here’s what you can expect this week.
This Week’s Projects:
- Today and Tuesday, Aug. 7 and 8, watch for crews patching the westbound frontage road along I-40 from Eastern Street to Nelson Street.
- Wednesday through Friday, Aug. 9 – 11, watch for seal coat operations in both directions on I-40 at Hope Road.
I-40 Bridge Replacement (Bell)
- I-40 speed limit through construction zone is 50 mph.
- I-40 frontage roads and Bell Street Speed limits are 35 mph.
- Bell Street bridge reconstruction has begun and the Bell Street bridge will remain closed through completion of the project.
- Bell Street traffic will be allowed (directed) to turn right onto the frontage roads.
- I-40 main lanes are reduced to two lanes in each direction until the completion of the project.
- The Bell Street bridge will remain closed through completion of the project.
I-40 Bridge Replacement (Soncy/Loop 335)
- Installation of raised medians along Soncy Road continues. Expect the left and center turn lanes to be closed in both directions when crews work at the following intersections:
-Soncy Road just north of I-40
-Soncy Road near Westgate Parkway
- 2 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 12, Soncy Road will be closed at the I-40 overpass for completion of bridge span work. Soncy Road is expected to reopen by 7 a.m. that same day.
- Northbound right lane of Soncy Road will be closed just north of I-40 to widen lanes.
- The westbound frontage road right-turn-only lane onto northbound Soncy Road will be closed until the widening is complete.
I-40 Bridge Repair (Ross/Arthur)
- I-40E, the on-ramp to Crockett Street is closed.
- I-40W entrance ramp between Ross and Arthur streets is closed.
- I-40W entrance ramp between Nelson and Ross streets is closed.
- I-40E exit ramp between Osage and Nelson streets is closed.
- Frontage road at Osage Street and I-40E is closed.
- Right lanes of I-40W and I-40E are closed from Nelson Street to I-27.
- Left lane of the I-40W frontage road is closed from Quarter Horse Drive to Arthur Street.
- Left lane of the I-40E frontage road is closed from Arthur Street to Quarter Horse Drive.
Downtown Connector (I-40 & I-27 Interchange)
- Left lane of the northbound I-27 frontage road is closed just north of the 26th Avenue exit for widening construction and other improvements.
- Ramp from 26th Avenue onto I-27 northbound is closed.
- Left lane of the I-27S frontage road and the right lane of I-27S at the interchange are closed.
South Loop 335 (Hollywood):
- Traveling eastbound, the right lane has been converted to a right turn only lane from just east of I-27 to Valleyview Drive. All thru traffic should use the left lane.
- Washington Street to I-27, the speed limit is reduced to 45 mph in both directions.
- Wilshire Drive, Valleyview Drive to the north and Circle Drive are closed at SL 335 until the westbound frontage road can be opened to traffic.
- Access to Lamount Drive will be closed at various times during the day.
Westbound Loop traffic must exit at Georgia Street and turn left under the bridge and right on the south frontage road to continue westbound.
- Intersection of South Western Street and SL 335 is controlled by temporary traffic signals.
- Intersection of South Georgia Street and SL 335 has a three-way stop condition at the north and the south frontage roads.
- Exit and entrance ramps east of Georgia Street are ONE-WAY ramps.
- Work continues on and along the shoulders from Washington Street to I-27.
- Access to SL 335 at Olympia Drive is permanently closed.