The Construction Nightmare is Real in Amarillo – Here’s Your Update
The construction is a nightmare for most in Amarillo. However, if we look on the bright side, once it is finished we will have some nice, safe bridges and roads in Amarillo.
This Week’s Projects:
- I-27, the left lane will be closed in both directions from Rockwell Road to Hollywood Road for cable barrier repair work next Thursday and Friday.
- I-40, the left lane will be closed in both directions from the Oldham County line to SL 335 (Soncy Street) for cable barrier repair work.
- Various lanes of the I-40 frontage roads will be closed from Pullman Road to Soncy Road for patching operations.
I-40 Bridge Replacement (Bell)
- I-40 Bridge Replacement (Bell)
- I-40 speed limit through construction zone is 50 mph.
- I-40 frontage roads and Bell Street Speed limits are 35 mph.
- The Bell Street bridge will be open for the workweek (7/31 – 8/4) and traffic is back on I-40 .
- Starting this morning Monday, July 31, the right lane and shoulders of I-40 will be closed in both directions.
- Right northbound lane on Bell Street will be closed.
- Friday, Aug. 4, demolition of the main Bell Street bridge will begin at 9 p.m.
- When the Bell Street bridge closes at 9 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 4, it will remain closed through completion of the project.
- I-40 will close in both directions through the work zone at Bell Street beginning with lane closures at 7 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 4 followed by full closure of the interstate at 9 p.m.
- I-40 will remain closed at Bell Street all weekend from 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 4 until 6 a.m. Monday, Aug. 7.
I-40 Bridge Replacement (Soncy/Loop 335)
- Installation of raised medians along Soncy Street will continue, with completion expected by Aug. 4. The left and center turn lanes will be closed in both directions when crews work at the following intersections (in this order):
-Soncy Street just north of I-40
- 2 a.m. on Saturday, August 5th, Soncy Street will be closed at the I-40 overpass for completion of bridge span work. Soncy is expected to reopen by 7 a.m. that same day.
- After raised median work is completed, the northbound right lane of Soncy Street will be closed just north of I-40 to widen the lane in front of the Drury Inn. The northbound right-turn only lane on SL 335 to the I-40 frontage road will be closed (most likely Aug. 1).
I-40 Bridge Repair (Ross/Arthur)
- I-40E, the on-ramp to Crockett Street is closed.
- I-40W entrance ramp between Ross and Arthur streets is closed.
- I-40W entrance ramp between Nelson and Ross streets is closed.
- I-40E exit ramp between Osage and Nelson streets is closed.
- Frontage road at Osage Street and I-40E is closed.
- Right lanes of I-40W and I-40E are closed from Nelson Street to I-27.
- Left lane of the I-40W frontage road is closed from Quarter Horse Drive to Arthur Street.
- Left lane of the I-40E frontage road is closed from Arthur Street to Quarter Horse Drive.
Downtown Connector (I-40 & I-27 Interchange)
- Left lane of the northbound I-27 frontage road is closed just north of the 26th Avenue exit for widening construction and other improvements.
- Ramp from 26th Avenue onto I-27 northbound is closed.
- Left lane of the I-27S frontage road and the right lane of I-27S at the interchange are closed.
South Loop 335 (Hollywood):
- Washington Street to I-27, the speed limit is reduced to 45 mph in both directions.
- Wilshire Drive, Valleyview Drive to the north and Circle Drive are closed at South oopL 335 until the westbound frontage road can be opened to traffic.
- Access to Lamount Drive will be closed at various times during the day.
- Westbound Loop traffic must exit at Georgia Street and turn left under the bridge and right on the frontage road to continue westbound.
- On-ramp from Washington Street to westbound South Loop 335 is temporally realigned for widening.
- Intersection of South Western Street and South Loop 335 is controlled by temporary traffic signals.
- Intersection of South Georgia Street and South Loop 335 has a four-way stop condition.
- Work continues on and along the shoulders from Washington Street to I-27.
- Access to South Loop 335 at Olympia Drive is permanently closed.