Are You Prepared For An Emergency? Do It Tax Free!
It's always important to be ready for an emergency, and to make sure you are prepared, the Texas 2018 Emergency Preparation Supplies Sale Tax Holiday is coming up!
Starting on April 28th, you can stock up on emergency preparation products and supplies without having to pay sales tax. The holiday lasts through Monday, April 30th. While there is no limit to how many items you can purchase, there is a list of items that qualify for this program.
Items that can qualify include:
- Portable generators
- Emergency ladders
- Hurricane shutters
- Batteries, single or multipack (AAA cell, AA cell, C cell, D cell, 6 volt or 9 volt)
- Can openers - nonelectric
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Coolers and ice chests for food storage – nonelectric
- Fire extinguishers
- First aid kits
- Fuel containers
- Ground anchor systems and tie-down kits
- Ice products - reusable and artificial
- Light sources - portable self-powered (including battery operated)
- Examples of items include: candles, flashlights and lanterns
- Mobile telephone batteries and mobile telephone chargers
- Radios - portable self-powered (including battery operated) - includes two-way and weather band radios
- Smoke detectors
- Tarps and other plastic sheeting
- These items are NOT eligible for tax exemption:
- Batteries for automobiles, boats and other motorized vehicles
- Camping stoves
- Camping supplies
- Extension ladders
- Repair or replacement parts for emergency preparation supplies
- Services performed on, or related to, emergency preparation supplies
For more information, call 1-800-252-5555.