Canyon Timeline For Opening Public Services and Facilities
As Texas continues to reopen during the pandemic, the Amarillo region has seen it's share of hotspots and delays. Even the town of Canyon is not immune to the spread of the coronavirus. While Canyon is following all orders put in place by Governor Abbott, they have announced some public services and facilities are reopening.
Here is a general overview of what is reopened or will be reopening soon in Canyon:
- Palo Duro Creek Golf Course: Currently open with carts and certain restrictions.
- Canyon Area Library: Currently open and operating under limited hours and restrictions. City Hall: Open to the Public on Monday, June 1st. The Business Office will remain closed on June 1st due to construction/remodel work.
- Municipal Court: Open to the Public for Dockets since Monday, May 4th. Temporarily operating out of the Cole Community Center in order to maintain social distancing.
- City Park Playgrounds: Open on Friday, May 22nd. As the City has separate facilities from CISD, CISD can only open things at the discretion of UIL.
- Cole Community Center: Open on Wednesday, June 17th. Limited reservations to allow for sanitation between bookings.
- Pavilion Rentals: Open on Wednesday, June 17th.
- Special Event Permits: Suspended until further notice. Excludes essential events (like Farmers Markets).
- Youth Sports Leagues: Decision and plan to be made on June 1st. City will follow Governor’s open date. Certain restrictions for game attendees will be in place. All conditions and restrictions will be made in conjunction with the leagues and the City.
- Public Meetings and Open Meetings: In person officially (including public) Monday, June 1st.
The city has also announced tentative plans to reopen the Canyon Aquatic Park (CAP) for the Summer 2020 season. They earliest date possible for them to open will be Monday, June 15. That is if it is allowed to be open according to Governor Abbott. As the executive orders in Texas stand right now, the park is not allowed to open. The June 15 plan would include an occupancy of 200 people and it would be by online reservations only. They would open twice a day for 3.5 hours, with a 1 hour cleaning and sterilization period in between sessions. All chairs would be placed 6 feet apart.