Besides Texas Who Else Has a Panhandle to Brag About?
We live in the Texas Panhandle. That is our claim to fame. Whether you know it or not Texas is not the only state to have a Panhandle. I know everything is bigger and better in Texas. So by that statement, of course the Texas Panhandle should be all that matters.
What Does it Mean to be a Panhandle in the First Place?
Basically a state has a panhandle if it has a "narrow strip of territory projecting from the main territory of one state into another state". Ok, that sounds all official an all. Fun fact it is called a panhandle because it basically looks like a handle from a frying pan.
For whatever reason there are eight other states with a panhandle. Really? Eight. Can you name any without Googling or reading any further?
To be fair I am from Illinois and I know we didn't have a panhandle. Never knew that even existed until I moved here. But there really are eight others. Who would have even known? Not me.
- Alaska has a panhandle and it includes the city of Juneau, which of course is the state's capital.
- Connecticut also has a proud panhandle. It includes cities such as Stamford, Greewich and New Canaan.
- Florida, yep you guessed it, has a panhandle. It's another state where it's capital, Tallahassee is in their panhandle. It also contains Pensacola.
- Nebraska is next on our list. It includes cities such as Alliance, Chadron and Sidney.
- Idaho is also a panhandle. It includes the cities Kellogg and Coeur d’Alene. It also filled with National Forests so it's a very pretty area.
- Of course we can't forget Maryland. It's panhandle includes Sharpsburg and Hagerstown.
- Oklahoma, our neighbors to the north of us. Their panhandle is butted right up to ours. Howdy neighbors. Some of their main cities are Beaver, Boise and Guymon.
I still will have to say that the Texas Panhandle will still always be my favorite. I mean I feel I can count on your support to back me up on this.
Teeny Tiny Towns of the Texas Panhandle
Google Answers the Top 10 Questions About Amarillo