Rapper Heavy D has been pronounced dead at the young age of 44. Heavy D, who had a reputation as one of the influential rappers of the ’90s, was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital today after a 911 phone call was made from his home (via TMZ). He died shortly after his arrival.

According to TMZ, an ambulance arrived at the Beverly Hills home of Heavy D at around noon after someone called 911 at around 11:25 AM to report an “unconscious man on the walkway.” Apparently Heavy D, whose real name is Dwight Arrington Myers, was awake and speaking when the ambulance arrived.

The rapper/singer died shortly after the ambulance arrived at the hospital, at around 1PM. Police officers are currently investigating his death, and no signs of foul play have been reported yet.

Heavy D made a name for himself as the frontman of Heavy D & the Boyz, and along with his group he produced massive hits like 1991′s ‘Now That We Found Love.’ Heavy D also rapped on Michael Jackson‘s successful track ‘Jam’ and performed the theme song for the sketch comedy series ‘In Living Color.’

Although his name is often associated with the late ’80s and ’90s, Heavy D was still quite relevant today. The rapper was also an actor, and his most recent film role comes with a cameo in the 2011 flick ‘Tower Heist.’ He also recently performed at the 2011 BET Hip-Hop Awards and at Michael Jackson’s tribute concert in Wales.

Rest in peace, Heavy D.

Update: TMZ has released more details on the death of Heavy D, who was suffering from pneumonia shortly before his death. Today, Heavy D had returned home from shopping and was walking up some stairs when he began to have a hard time breathing. TMZ spoke to Adam Mills, a designer and friend of the rapper who was present at the scene, and he found Heavy D leaning against a railing and “clearly in distress.” Mills then “cradled” the rapper while others phoned emergency servies. During this time, Heavy D told Mills, “I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe.”

The rapper reportedly had a pulse as the paramedics took him to hospital. “People in the building are saying he died of a heart attack, but we have not been able to confirm that,” TMZ reports. “Law enforcement sources tell us … no foul play was involved and so far they only know the cause of death was ‘medical.‘”

More From KISS FM 96.9