Housing Choice Voucher Program Reopens In Amarillo
In a time where people need affordable housing more than ever, the Amarillo Housing Authority (AHA) is opening their Housing Choice Voucher Program waiting list. The program was previously known as Section 8 housing. The pre-application wait list lottery begins on Monday, September 7, and ends on Friday, September 11 at 8pm.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides rental assistance for low-income families. All applicants have an equal opportunity of being selected while complying with U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development standards. Pre-applications for the program will be accepted ONLINE ONLY at: https://www.waitlistcheck.com/application/form.php?ID=1024-TX472.
If you make a submission, some things to keep in mind:
- Pre-application does not guarantee placement.
- Only one pre-application per family will be accepted.
- Paper applications will not be distributed or accepted.
- The final wait-list will be determined using a random lottery.
- Applicants not selected in this lottery will not move forward in the process and will be notified of their status along with households that make the list.
- Wait-list lottery results are final and are not subject to appeal.
- Households not selected may reapply when the wait-list application period reopens.
Applications chosen during the lottery will be randomly assigned applicant ID numbers and ranked using the following preferences:
- Persons with disabilities that are under the age of 62 and homelessness.
Individuals with a disability can request a reasonable accommodation to participate. To request a reasonable accommodation or for more information, please contact the City of Amarillo Community Development Department before the wait list closes at (806) 378-3098.
If you know someone who can benefit from this program, now is the time to get them prepared for their application. Remember, they will be required to apply online.