10 Reasons Why Everyone Is Getting Engaged
'Tis the season for everybody in the whole world to get engaged.
For people in their 20's, the holidays bring more than just delightful pictures of Christmas trees and snow to social media. There is an intense, sometimes alarming rate of proposals happening this time of year. And, of course, the first thing everyone does after getting engaged is post it to Facebook or Instagram.
So you start to notice that everyone you know has gotten engaged in the past month. You're hyperventilating. You're panicking. That's probably an exaggeration, but it can be scary.
You're not alone. And even more good news: there's an explanation behind the madness.
Studies have shown that a huge percentage, over 25%, of the year's engagements happen over the holiday break (the end of November through the beginning of January). Most people say that this is prime proposal time for a few reasons.
- Kinda obvious, but Thanksgiving is time when people express their feelings by telling others what they're thankful for. Hint, hint: I'm thankful for you, so stay with me forever.
- Obviously, Christmas is a time for gifts. And all I want for Christmas is you.
- Another obvious one: New Year's Eve is a time for new beginnings.
- Families and friends are usually all in one place during the holidays, so it's easier to get everyone together for a celebration, especially those from out of town.
- People have a lot of time off from school or work around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. That means there is time to create an extravagant plan for an engagement, like a scavenger hunt or a weekend trip.
- There are plenty of opportunities to dress up during the holidays, especially on New Year's Eve.
- There are a lot of romantic activities to do over the holidays, like looking at Christmas lights, cuddling by a fire, cooking together, or going on a trip.
- Some people get a Christmas bonus, which helps pay for a sparkly ring.
- Along those same lines, people have been saving their money all year.
- It's easier to remember what date the engagement happened if it's on a major holiday.
So I made that last one up. I'm sure someone has used that excuse before, though.
To everyone getting engaged and married over the holidays, congratulations!