6 Amarillo Shootings Happened Within 11 Hours This Week
What in the world is going on in our city?? This past week, or more specifically, this past Wednesday, Amarillo Police responded to 6 shooting incidents. That is 6 shootings that happened in an 11 hour span!
Incident #1: 2:40am - N.W. 5th Avenue and Madison Street
- Officers located a vehicle parked in front of a residence with a bullet hole in it. Bullet holes were also located on a residence. Later, 2 victims showed up at a local hospital with gunshot wounds.
Incident #2: 8:40am - 3100 block of S.W. 5th Avenue
- Reports of shots fired. APD found 12 shell casings, thankfully no injuries reported.
Incident #3: 10:40am - 3100 block of S.W. 5th Avenue (...again)
- Reports of shots fired again. APD found over 40 shell casings and 4 buildings and 4 vehicles struck by bullets. No injuries.
Incident #4: 11:02am - 2500 block of Poplar Street
- Officers report 2 suspects shot a 26-year-old in the upper body. Non-life-threatening injuries.
Incident #5: 1:30pm - 1200 block of N. Mars Street
- Witnesses told officers a male shot at them then went into a residence. APD SWAT was called however not suspect was found in the house.
Incident #6: 8:00pm - 3930 East I-40 (officer involved shooting)
- APD officers were at the America's Best Value Inn motel looking for a man with a felony warrant for aggravated assult with a deadly weapon. Officers observed the man leaving a room with a handgun in hand. The man attempted to shield himself behind other civilians and would not drop the gun. Suspect was shot by an APD officer and died at the scene.
These incidents come on the heels of a study that says Amarillo has more crimes per capita than another other city in Texas. According to the department, out of 1000 people in Amarillo, 51 of those residents will commit a crime, which is higher than the state average of 31 people per 1000.
Amarillo Police are currently investigating all the incidents to see if there is any relation between the shootings. Anyone with information is asked to call APD at 378-3038 or Amarillo Crime Stoppers at 374-4400. Tips can also be made anonymously online at AMAPolice.org.