A Shocking New Exhibit Coming To The Discovery Center
There is always so much cool stuff to see and do at the Don Harrington Discovery Center. One thing we especially enjoy is that the facility is always changing, growing, and innovating. If you are looking for something the entire family can enjoy and not break the bank, this should be one of your first stops. Starting this weekend, you will be able to check out the new "All Charged Up" exhibit.
Spark your curiosity of the wonders of electricity in this interactive exhibit. Just as Ben Franklin engaged in hands-on experimentation with electricity, you will too! Insulate yourself from the hair-raising, static electricity effects of the Van der Graaf generator. Explore energy consumption, generation, and how to interact safely around this important form of energy. Learn about the important jobs of the lineman and electrical engineers and dress the part as you learn about the equipment and technology that is used to power all of the electronics in your life. Learn how electricity is created and explore-the energy sources needed to generate our electricity. Find out which of your friends might glow in our Electron Excitement Room. All Charged Up! will cater to a wide audience and encourage visitors to think critically and explore the science, technology, and engineering behind electricity.
Here is just some of the cool stuff you will be able to check out:
- Children will have the opportunity to dress up as linemen.
- Large Flash room where guests will explore the life of an atom.
- Singing Tesla Coil -Static Electricity
- Tinker Area where guests have the opportunity to take apart old appliances and examine components of each.
- Bike Generators- Challenge your friend to beat them at creating power to illuminate a light tower.
- Shocking Science Theater where guests will enjoy demonstrations with hand-held Tesla Coils and a Van der Graaff generator.
- Plasma Globe- Explore Static Electricity while your hair stands on end .
- Wind Turbine- How much energy is produced?
- Explore the "birth" of electricity and meet Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla
- Learn the Structure of an Atom, the importance of electrons, and how electrical charges flow through matter.
- Explore lightning and examine Fulgurite
- Learn how Panhandle wind farms supply electricity in Texas
- Learn what sized wire do you need to do daily tasks
- Guest will learn about insulators and conductors and the fundamentals of electrical circuits.
- Harness the power of electricity by ringing bells and light ups.
- Explore how different technologies use different amounts of energy consumption to provide similar uses, ex. LED bulbs vs incandescent light bulbs.
- Guests will also learn proper safety practices when interacting and using electricity.
The Don Harrington Discovery Center is open Tuesday-Saturday, 9:30 am-4:30 pm, and on Sunday from Noon-4:30 pm. Children 2 and under are free, children (3-17) are $9, students (17-22), (with college I.D.) are $11, adults are only $14, military (with I.D.) $11, and seniors (60+) are just $11.