Amarillo Road Construction: Know Before You Go This Week
More cars are hitting the road as Texas continues to reopen, not to mention folks are trying to get out more with the warm weather. The roadwork continues around the Amarillo and that is causing additional delays with more folks on the roadways. Each week, TxDOT releases a list of projects and areas to avoid. Here is this week's list of proposed roadwork projects:
- Monday and Tuesday, June 15 and 16, the left lane of the I-40 eastbound frontage road will be closed between the exit ramp and the intersection approaching Whitaker and Lakeside while the contractor sets concrete traffic barriers. Work could extend into Wednesday, June 17.
- The shoulder on SL 335 will be closed at RM 1061 and FM 1719 eastbound on Monday, June 15, to repair riprap.
- Watch for slow-moving herbicide operations Monday, June 15, along the center median of SL 335 from I-40 to SH 136.
- On Tuesday, June 16, the shoulder will be closed on SL 335 at the bridge north of 9th Avenue in both directions while crews repair erosion damage along the riprap.
- On Wednesday, June 17, the shoulder will be closed on SL 335 eastbound between Coulter Road and Hester Road while crews repair erosion damage on the slopes on SL 335 at Hester Road.
- Various lanes will be closed on the I-27 frontage roads from 26th Avenue to FM 2219 for tree and brush removal and drain work.
- There will be various lane closures on I-27 northbound from 45th Avenue to 26th Avenue for concrete pavement repair.
- Watch for crews mowing and weed eating on all state-maintained roadways throughout the week.
- On I-40, east- and westbound traffic will be moved to the outside lane/shoulder between Soncy Road and Hope Road on Wednesday, June 17 as crews begin paving detours. Traffic is expected to be moved to the detours by Friday, June 19. Demolition of the westbound I-40 bridge at Helium Road is expected to begin Monday, June 22. During the demolition process, I-40 will be reduced to one lane in each direction from Soncy Road to Hope Road.
All projects are subject to change due to weather, emergency work and other unexpected events